Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Uninspired


Forgive me for not being so incredibly fashion-y in my posting, but I have been feeling very uninspired lately. Really very blah. There are many culprits: 1) I'm trying not to spend much money right now with the holidays coming and some domestic projects I want to complete (a new green bathroom!), so I'm not getting any new clothes or a much, much, much needed haircut, 2) I think I have gained some weight, 3) Baseball season is over, 4) It rains a lot now, and 5) I just don't feel that well lately. Kind of achy, kind of old, kind of fat, and definitely not like myself. I don't know. It's weird. I left work early yesterday (we all came in to put up this huge map of the US with every college and university in the country on it, and then went home since it was Veteran's Day--I will probably post something about this on my Myspace blog when I get a chance as it was freaking hilarious), and I went home and just...laid in bed. I watched two American Justice's and one Law and Order before uprooting myself, only then realizing that I had eaten one frozen quesadilla, a bowl of guacamole with chips, a leftover ramekin of black and white creme brulee (which, if I do say so myself, was amazing) and two chunks of Monterey Jack cheese. I felt awful. And it didn't get any better. I ended up moving over to the couch and watching Atlantis Squarepantis with my kids, eating more junk and feeling more awful along the way.

Today I got up and tried to make myself do a bit more with myself than I had done yesterday (I went to work yesterday in jeans, a merino that I realized later has a hole in it, a tank top, and no make-up). I put on my Fat Girl Uniform: black pants, black v-neck merino and black city boots. Feeling desperate, I wrapped my teal pashmina around my neck and put on a long necklace. I put my makeup on in the car (thank god for a back up at the toll plaza, or I would have never gotten my eyeliner straight!). I still don't really feel myself, but it's a bit better. I've also put myself on a bit of a detox diet--I've been drinking water at my desk, trying to make the puffiness subside from my fingers. I am going to go out and fix myself a nice salad from the gourmet store down the street for lunch.

So I ask, gentle readers: how do you get yourself out a funk? Any cheap tips you have? Does anyone living in the Bay Area want to come and take me to a gym so that I can breathe in my favorite jeans again? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best remedy would be about 15 hours of sleep straight. (Not an easy thing to do when you have kids). It helped me a couple of times.

Hope you feel better soon
Tanya

Anonymous said...

For the bloat - you are doing the right thing in terms of the water. What I normally do when I feel like that is to cut out all sugar, "white" carbs (bread, rice, pasta, etc) as well as most processed foods for a few days. Yeah - I know - it really sucks. But it works. If you try to eat mostly lean protein, fruits and lots of veggies for a few days, you'll drop about a few pounds of bloat and probably feel a lot more energetic.

As for the rest of the blahs - I think it's the time of year, daylight savings, holiday stress, etc. Personally - I've been trying to get outside more during daylight hours and soak up that good sun. Also - be sure you are getting enough vitamin B. It helps with energy.

Wow - that's a lot of advice. In any case - love your blog and hope you feel better soon!

Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

Breakfast - one egg, some spinach and a very small amount of low-fat feta to make an omelette. Lunch is soup. Snack is V8. Dinner is a darn big salad with nuts and cheese and everything, but more greens than the fun stuff. 2 Nalgenes worth of water during the day (64 oz) and a few beer mugs worth with dinner.

I also use True Lime, squeeze of lemon or even a touch of cider vinegar in the water to change up the taste. A week of this, and I am feeling good, skin is happy and my fat jeans are too loose.

Oh and yoga. Yoga's good. There's a few websites that offer free 30 minute yoga video sessions to watch.

Gervy said...

Hmmm. I think Tanya's advice is sensible. To help with the funk, the best idea is to crawl up in bed with some very good chocolate and a very bad book, and that does the trick. However, maybe choc is not the best idea for the bloat. Choc + lots of water?

Zenobiah said...

I am sorry you are not feeling well. Excuse me for being forward here, but could you be pregnant?