Monday, May 21, 2007

Summer Essentials #1

Let it be known that summer is not my favorite season, although I do like it much more in CA than I did in VA. Yes, I know that the weather is nice, and all of that, but if there is a more unstylish time of the year, I don't know of it. In summer, it is hot and sticky, and folks seem to use that to justify wearing denim shorts and short sleeve dress shirts, which I'm sure is what the devil wears to all the cook-outs that Hitler hosts in Hell. Summer is the seasonal equivalent to your cousin who has a mullett and drinks beer out of a can--its tacky, unrefined, and flouts the laws of civilization in our faces. Goddamn summer.
So as a public service, I bring to you items of clothing that are comfortable, and manage to help you distance yourself from Cousin Earl and his Yosemite Sam mudflaps. This will be a recurring segment, and it will recur as many times as I see fit. Because it's my blog. Yeah.

So without further adieu, I give you numero uno: The T-shirt Dress:

The t-shirt dress may just be the most perfect summer outfit, because it is just that: an outfit. And it is so freaking versatile. You can wear it to work with a necklace and heels (just as I did today), you can wear it over your swimsuit to the pool, you can wear it on errands with flats and a more irreverant necklace. And when you're done, you toss it in the washer, and go on with your life. It's just that simple. Nothing is cooler, nothing looks cuter in more situations, nothing can flow more seamlessly through the many facets of your life. Plus, they can be pretty damn cheap: the one above is $29 from Land's End.

The key with all of this is to find one that fits. You don't want anything too tight, because, well, that's hideous. You don't want to look like you're wearing a tent either. I will advise that if you buy the dress above from Land's End, you go with a size down. The sizes seem to be made a bit big. So you get an ego boost, and a great fitting dress. What's not to love?

Stay tuned for future posts in which I will tackle the important summer topics of shorts and why I never want to see your thighs again (it's not me, it's them), and the cheeky graphic tee, or rather, why I don't care if your boyfriend is out of town, and why I don't want to read this on your boobs.

No comments: