Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Spoils of a Trip to Target

I am blogging from home today, as we had a bit of a family emergency yesterday, and today I am spending the day recovering from it. It feels kind of strange writing for a fashion blog in my current state, as I look anything but fashionable. Currently, I am wearing a Planet Mom t-shirt and Old Navy yoga pants. Lovely. What's worse, when I went out earlier to run some errands I wore on my feet....Birkenstocks (you kinda expected me to say Crocs didn't you?). They are quiet hideous t-strap concoctions with crazy color mosaics on them. Not your typical fashion blogger attire, huh?

But I do have some interesting things to talk about because this is my first official Product Review post! Yea! I am going to try to make this a regular thing, because, well, for better or worse, I buy a bunch of crap. Especially beauty and make-up crap. And most of the time, it's pretty good stuff, but well, sometimes I buy some real stinkers. So I may as well use my idiocy to inform others. Just as I do with baseball players, I will award products with a sliding review that will range from "dead to me" to "Mark Ellis." Just a note--the sliding scale may change depending on my mood.

So the first product is Comforting Butter Body Wash from Neutrogena. For perhaps the only time ever, I'm blogging about a product that is brand spankin' new--so new that the picture I found on drugstore.com doesn't even show the new packaging. Well, the only difference is that where it says "deep moisture" on the pictured tube, the actual tube I bought says "comforting." So it's perhaps not revolutionary. ANYWAY, the product...I really like this one. I guess I should have a disclaimer here that I love body washes and soaps and things. But I am quiet picky. I like one that has a good lather, and has a scent that is not too faint nor too heavy. This one has both of those. The lather is good, however, it does not make my skin feel dry or itchy afterwards. The moisture lasts pretty much all day too. The scent is really what sells this, though. It smells exactly like the homemade icing my grandmother used to use on chocolate cakes. I love it. I take one sniff of it before I squirt it on the loofah, and I'm in heaven. And the best thing is, when I get out of the shower, I don't smell like a big plate of cookies (so if you want to smell like something edible after a shower, this probably isn't your cup of tea). The scent is not overwhelming at all. I'm sitting here sniffing my arm--God, I'm glad I'm at home--and I can detect a bit of it, just enough to remind me how good it smells. All in all, this is a great body wash, and I will probably buy it again. That's saying something, because I usually bounce around on these things.

My rating: (nearly) Gold Glove Winning Mark Ellis diving catch level

The next product is Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Creme. I should also put out a disclaimer that I love foot creams. Well, let me rephrase that. I like foot creams a lot in theory, but I'm not the best about using them. I'll buy them and use them faithfully for about a week, but then I get sick of wearing socks to bed, and I stop, or I just start falling asleep without doing it and end up breaking my nightly routine. I bought this one hoping to break that cycle. The thing that I thought would make me break the cycle is the smell of this stuff. It's really pretty great. In fact, I've used it for 3 nights now, and now whenever I walk into our bedroom, I smell coconut (and not that overly sweet fake coconut--the good stuff). That's a good thing because I like the smell of coconut. If you don't, this is not the foot cream for you. It's also not the foot cream for you if you are actually looking for a cream. This is a clear, goopy substance, not white and creamy like one would imagine of a product with the word "creme" in the title. It kinda reminds me of a thick, melty lip balm of something. This kinda threw me off when I put it on for the first time. In fact, it was a little off-putting. I actually like thick white stuff that I can slather on. The good news is, however, that unlike the thick white stuff, this is very easily absorbed. You put it on your feet, and they just kinda suck it up. I like that. There is a faint sticky feeling after putting it on, but if you follow the directions on the package and put on socks afterwards, you probably won't notice. And the good news is, it works. My heels are already feeling better, and it's just been 3 days. I am excited to see what happens to the harder calluses I have on the sides of my big toes.

All in all, I'll give this the rating of a double off the left field wall, i.e., not as good as my stellar Mark Ellis defensive plays, but pretty damn effective, and worthy of a cheer.


The last product I'll review is Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss. I bought this after reading a review from Alison on My Wardrobe Today. Since she reviewed Pink Afterglow, I bought that shade as well. I do like it: it's sparkly, but not overly so. It wears well, perhaps even a bit better than more expensive lip glosses that I've tried. I especially like the feel of it--it's not sticky at all. Overall, it's a great lip gloss. I was thinking of buying another color since the formula is so nice, but when I looked at the other colors, I didn't see anything that really tickled my fancy. So if anything, I wish there were a bigger range of colors for this, perhaps something that rivals the Super Lustrous Lipstick line that Revlon also pedals.

Final review: another double off the left field wall

1 comment:

Mara said...

I like Neutrogena products, I think I'll try the body wash. Thanks for the review!