Monday, April 16, 2007

A Sports Related Inquiry

Some of you know this, some of you don't, but I am a RABID Oakland A's fan (holla to my man Super Marco, and also to Banjo Man, who you see above. Nothing makes a girls season tickets worthwhile like a slightly smelly, bearded man plucking out tunes on a banjo). I love the Oakland A's like a mother loves her children--I get really, really pissed off at them sometimes, I say things that I don't mean, and then I decide to love them again. But through it all, the poor Oakland A's cannot get rid of me. I'm constantly there on the third base side, eating burritos and screaming at them. I have pet names for all of them, and I use them, loudy, during games. Except for Bobby Crosby. He's a permanent fixture on the Dead to Me list. So none of this applies to him. Yeah, Bobby. You know why.

Anyway, this begs the question: What does one wear to a ballgame? I have attacked this two different ways thus far this season. The first game, I wore the following ensemble: J.Crew jeans, Mark Ellis A's t-shirt (just your standard boxy t-shirt), green sneakers, green L.L. Bean fleece. That is all well and good. I looked totally fan-like. So my husband takes pictures of the family at the game, pictures of us all rockin' out on Opening Day. I look less like a fan and more like a granny smith apple. With legs. HIDEOUS like you would not believe! I am totally embarassed that I was seen like that, especially with 35,077 people, and my beloved Mark Ellis in attendance. I decided that from now on, unless it is the end of the world, and the only people who could possibly see me are the cockroaches and Cher, I will NEVER wear fleece again. If it is freezing, I will either wear my wool coat, or I will die. That is all.

So Saturday rolls around and it's time for another game. My husband reminds me that it will be cold, and that he is wearing long underwear to prepare (note to all the marrieds out there: is the fact that I have seen my husband in long underwear, and still wish to live with him a sign that we have a good marriage?). I neither own nor wish to acquire long underwear, and the pictures of Opening Night were fresh in my mind, so I instead opted for this ensemble: Gap jeans (that are too long), raspberry Ann Taylor v-neck merino sweater, black tank top, long H&M trench coat, and black heeled city boots (had to because of the longness of the pants). I definitely looked better, and these pictures (except for the ones where I was stuffing my face with a burrito) look a lot nicer. But the thing is, I didn't feel very fan-like. Yeah, I yelled my head off, and chanted "Yankee's Suck!" until I was told to stop, but I just didn't feel like the diehard fan that I am.

My conundrum is this: look like a fan, and be hideous, or look like myself and not be fun. Therefore, I am looking for some nicer "ball game clothes." That's where you come in. Any ideas for game appropriate clothes? Remember, our colors are green and gold. And also remember that it is windy in Oakland, at least until August or so.

Either leave your ideas in the comments, or send me an email. The best idea will be awarded with my unending love and dedication.

No comments: